Monday, December 15, 2008

On our way to SURGERY


December 9th, 2008


Unfortunately didn't get a good nites sleep cause Isabelle was up crying for 2 hours from 2am to 4am. Brian stayed up until 330am and we had to wake up and get ready around 6am.


Grandpa came over to stay with Isabelle for the day. We were off at 7am.

Got to the hospital at 730 and things started going very quickly. Before you knew it I was off to the operating room. Everyone was very nice, my 2 surgeons were great. When I got into the operating room the anesthesiologist (sp?) asked me if I wanted a "cocktail" before they did the biopsy on my left sentinel node... they normally do NOT put you under for that, so at that I said "hell yes give me 2 cocktails". And so he did, and that was the last thing I remembered.


Woke up god knows when, supposedly it was in the operating room when they were all done. I think I remember a little on that. Surgery was from 1030am to 345. Got into recovery at 415. I wasn't in too much pain, just very groggy. I was only supposed to be in there for 1-2 hours at the most but low and behold the hospital did not have one single empty room for me. SO I wound up being in the recovery room until 830 at night! They let Brian come in around 630 cause I guess they knew it was going to be a long wait for him.


Finally got into a room and it was a private room. Ate "dinner" at 1000pm. It sucked. A dried up turkey sandwich and a bowl of soup, at least they called it soup.


I was on a morphine pump at this point. Did a couple of "shots" in the recovery room. Then maybe 1 or 2 when I got into my room. Was up every hour or so cause they don't like you to sleep in hospitals.... yes that's being sarcastic.


At 730am the next morning after another 2 "shots" of morphine I thought I was having a heart attack. Yes once again another lovely panic attack or as they thought maybe a reaction to the morphine. Seeing that the night before I was having hallucinations on the stuff, I shouldn't have given myself anymore, but the pain was inbearable. So they had to make sure there was nothing going on with my heart. So every 3 hours they had to stick me to get blood tests done, and hooked me up to an ekg twice during a period of 2 hours. Nothing showed up with any of the tests.


The nurse forced me to get out of bed and sit in a chair. Yeah that was fun. I had 4 drainage tubes with these bulb things at the end that look like hand grenades, plus a pain pump, plus an iv in my arm. Oh then she wanted me to take a walk. TAKE A WALK??????? Yeah got far on that one. Down the hall and back. Back into bed.


Thursday 2nd day post opt I felt so much better. They told me I can go home. Brian picked me up at 1130 with my baby girl, and off we went to the best place on earth. HOME.



No comments: