Tuesday, October 28, 2008

HAIR HAIR HAIR.... BYE BYE






















So I was told that on Day 12 after the first treatment my hair was going to start falling out. Yippee. So I wanted to be prepared. I have/had very long beautiful thick hair (Sorry Dan:-) Something I pretty much took for granted up until now. So my husband found a salon for me to go to. My friend Janet offered to come with me, I really need someone's input on the whole wig thing, and I knew she would tell me the truth on how it looked. I arrived at the salon, and Janet hadn't gotten there yet so I went in. Now the owner specifically deals with women who loose their hair due to chemo or other medical reasons so she's really good at this stuff and she's been doing it for years and years. I sat down in a chair and she told me she'd be right back. Then when she came back she put this wig on my head and let me tell you... I just smiled. Right then Janet walked into the salon... she looked at me and had to ask "Is that a wig??" YUPPER... This hair thing isn't going to be that bad afterall!! Janet tried one on too, I think it looks awesome (she's in the green top), I'm the other one...holding up the price tag of my new do! And yeah that's me shaven head! I actually kinda like it:o)

Lucy, the salon owner, told me that after it starts falling out alot in clumps that I should just buzz it off and that it would help. I took her advise and on Day 14 Brian ... with beer in hand... shaved my lovely locks. By that time it was just falling out in clumps by a slight touch of the hand. It was all over the house! It was kinda horrible honestly. But... after I was buzzed it felt better and I really handled it ok... could have been cause I was completely exhausted that night... and shaving it helped with the scalp pain. Yup, my scalp was screaming at me. The hair follicles underneath the root start to die, which is why the hair falls out... and let me tell you... it hurt!

My worst fear was how my daughter was going to react to my new bald head. I thought it would scare her. I thought how the heck am I going to hide this from her? Everyone told me not to hide it from her and to act like it's no big deal. So that's exactly what I did. After the buzz I slowly showed her my peach fuzz, and she wanted to feel it, and she did. And she laughed:-) I always keep something on my head at home like a bandana or a scarf so she hadn't seen my real head until one day after work I ripped my hair off and put it on it's stand on my dresser... not realizing that Isabelle was standing right there. I looked at her... she had a little bit of a confused look on her face... why did Mommy take off her hair and why is it on her dresser?! Ok that look went away quickly, and now she likes to put on my wigs and my hat. And when she's in my bedroom she points to my wigs and says "mommy's hair!". Gotta love children!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

awww thats soo sweet! Children are so smart, they know you and love you no matter what you look like! sometimes I wonder how zayn knows that its me when I have my scarf on, especially around my other friends that wear a scarf also, but she knows! we have to give these kids more credit!